Philip is an Associate in our Employment group and has specialised in employment law since qualifying as a solicitor in 2006. He is familiar with advising both employers and private individuals in a range of business sectors; from media, advertising, and technology, to energy, charity, the public sector, and financial services and insurance.
Philip has spent the majority of his career working in private practice, but he has also worked in-house and is therefore accustomed to working closely with human resources.
Philip has a broad practice area, which includes; the provision of legal advice to HR directors and senior executives on workplace issues and procedures, negotiating contracts and settlement agreements for both employers and employees, and advising on the employment aspects of corporate transactions. He also has significant experience of managing employment claims in the Employment Tribunal and the Employment Appeal Tribunal. Examples of Philip’s work include:
- Successfully managing the defence of a claim for disability discrimination brought against a government department where the Claimant was dismissed for gross misconduct following an investigation into allegations of sexual harassment.
- Advising on the employment aspects of the £100,000,000 share acquisition of a national commercial television network.
- Negotiating the terms of a six figure severance package for a senior director of a major international insurance broker, before an announcement to the London Stock Exchange.
- Advising the purchaser on the employment aspects of the asset purchase of a hotel and spa.
- Preparing a step-by-step redundancy guide and accompanying precedent correspondence for a US company which was downsizing its UK presence.
- Pursuing a claim of unfair dismissal for a trader who was dismissed by a hedge fund for alleged gross misconduct and the manner of their trading.