We advise on all the legal and related issues involved in the development, production and exploitation of feature films and television programmes, and the carriage of content through both traditional and newer methods of distribution.
We pride ourselves on always giving comprehensive, practical and relevant advice that is steeped in our knowledge of the industry and meets our clients’ commercial needs.
Many of our lawyers have in-house experience and really understand the pressure on production companies, producers, executives and in-house lawyers. Our clients range from individual producers and production companies to banks and other ﬁnanciers, distributors and exhibitors, broadcasters, and talent. We have experience in all genres, including drama, factual and animation, and we are happy working at all budget levels.
Our areas of expertise include the following:
- Drafting and advising on option agreements and development deals
- Writers agreements
- First look deals
- Advising on structuring co-productions
- Advising on international co-production treaties, including tax incentives, subsidies and grants
- Shareholder agreements
- Joint ventures and EIS
- Equity finance and bank financing (both pre-sales and debt)
- Drafting and negotiating all talent agreements, including director, producer, artist and composer agreements
- Chain of title and E&O and clearance reports
- Advising on sales agency agreements and distribution deals
- Advising on all aspects of carriage and regulations, including Ofcom channel applications, VOD notifications, content and Ofcom codes
- Carriage deals for cable, satellite, IPTV and mobile
Jonathan Blair is a "commercial thinking lawyer with excellent skills in coproduction financing".
Jonathan Blair is "intuitive, strategic and emotionally intelligent - he thinks in 360 degrees."
Astute, commercial and practical.
They understand our business incredibly well and provide a range of specialists as needed.
Every lawyer I have worked with has been friendly, approachable and willing to listen.
They were incredibly understanding of our unique needs and collaborated in a very flexible way. I would describe the team as very approachable and capable – they took time to listen to our requirements and made recommendations accordingly.