The publishing industry has gone through a period of radical evolution over the last two decades.
The traditional publishing business has faced, and continues to face, significant challenges, alongside which the exponential growth of digital publishing has provided many new opportunities.
Our publishing lawyers have a successful track record in helping our clients explore the challenges and opportunities within the industry. We are able to advise on traditional publishing contracts, put together robust commercial deals for the digital environment and we also advise and represent clients in a wide range of publishing-related disputes. The firm’s media expertise as a whole also means that we are particularly well-placed to advise on book-to-screen deals.
Our client list is an eclectic mix of authors, photographers, libraries, magazine groups, literary agencies, book publishers and trade organisations.
Our areas of expertise include the following:
- Publishing contracts (including author, illustrator and ghost-writer commissions)
- Literary agents' agreements
- Advising on commercial deal terms, including royalty rates
- E-books, audio-books and podcasts
- Literary estates
- Clearances (including libel, privacy, data protection and copyright)
- Supplier contracts
- Merchandising agreements
- Licensing arrangements (including book-to-screen deals)
- Option agreements for film or TV adaptations of books
- Digital distribution agreements
- Publishing disputes (including breach of contract and royalty disputes)
- Copyright, defamation, data protection and privacy disputes
They are great - we can rely on them to be responsive and do extremely high-quality work
High standards, good, transparent communication between team members, excellent understanding of the issues, plus a can-do attitude. Part of the firm’s culture is an awareness of cost, and the farming out of work to the most reasonably-priced resource.
They are very commercial, really understand our business and can apply the law practically in line with our business goals.